Mock Almond Roca
(recipe from Danika)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
~40 saltine crackers
1-2 cups slivered/sliced/chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 12x17-inch cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Lay a flat layer of crackers out on the foil; if they don't perfectly go to the edge of the pan, break them in half or fourths to completely cover the bottom of the cookie sheet.
- Melt the sugar and butter until a boil is reached. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour this mixture over the crackers and spread to coat evenly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the toffee becomes bubbly.
- After removing the pan from the oven, let it sit for 3-5 minutes, then sprinkle on the chocolate chips, let them soften and melt, and then spread them into an even layer with a spatula.
- Before the chocolate hardens, sprinkle the top with almonds.
- Stick the sheet in the refrigerator and let cool until hardened.
- Break into pieces the size of your choice.