Thursday, December 6, 2012

:::{Rum Balls}:::

This is another of my momma's recipes... She has been making these every year around Christmas time for as long as I can remember!  When I was younger, my brother and I would snoop in the fridge to find the hidden container of these cookies to snitch a couple... Now that I'm of age, I understand that there is a minimal amount of acutal alchol, but they are still a holiday favorite! They are pretty quick and easy, as well as being very tasty and just a little rummy ;)  I'm warning you now, you'll probably want to go ahead and make a double batch...

Rum Balls

Ingredients
1 (12 oz) box of Nilla Wafers
1 cup powdered sugar (plus ~ 1 cup for rolling)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4-1/2 cup rum
1 cup pecans (optional)

Directions
  1. Smash, bash, or food process the Nilla Wafer cookies; it is fine if there are still small pieces of cookie in the mix.
  2. Combine the ground Nilla Wafers, powdered sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and pecans (if desired) in a large bowel or mixer.
  3. Add the corn syrup.  Add 1/4 cup of the rum and mix well.  At this point, check the consistency; the dough needs to be wet enough to be rolled into balls, but not too wet or it will be too sticky and gooey.  Slowly add the other 1/4 cup of rum, until desired consistency is reached.  Mine only took 1/2 the second 1/4 cup of rum (so, 1/4 + 1/8 cup = 3/8 cup rum in total).  The resulting dough should look about like the picture...
  4. At this point, you can chill the dough in the refrigerator for a few hours or even over night, which allows the rum to really reach its full potential in the dough...
  5. When ready to rolls your rum balls, use a spoon or cookie scoop and roll ~ 1 inch balls, then roll in powdered sugar.
  6. Enjoy!
~Rachelle

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. It has everything in it that my grandmother put in hers. I always process my pecans also. Easier to eat and enjoy. Will change the liquor flavor. I'm going to use Maple Crown Royal. Have some left from baking cookies so need to use. Spiced rum tastes great in this as well. You can also use any flavor of liquor you want. I have and they always turn out awesome. I refridgerate mine after so they last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Step 2. Mix in bowel? You sure? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of rum do u use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would use spiced. White rum is really only good for daiquiris.

      Delete
  4. Captain Morgan Clear/Light 80 proof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will refer to these ethical professional software programmers, if you need a Legitimate and Reliable Hacking Service? They are a formidable group which consists of Qualified and Certified Hackers. They offer the best of Hacking services without a bridge of security code, they are dedicated Hackers with Excellent Track Records. You can reach them on their private email 'hackingloop6@gmail .com, also through WhatsApp +1(484)540 - 0785, their customer service and efficiency is top notch.

    ReplyDelete